Board of Equalization

The Board of Equalization is an independent body of private citizens appointed by the Stevens County Commissioners. It is comprised of three members and up to four alternate members. 

The Board of Equalization hears and decides appeals concerning determinations made by the assessor including: changes to real and personal property valuations, current use determinations, designated forest land determinations and senior citizen/disabled person exemption determinations. The Board's goal is to provide an impartial hearing environment that protects each party's due process rights and results in a fair decision.

Board of Equalization forms may be obtained from the Clerk of the Board, located at the above address and phone number, the Assessor's office or on this website.

Appeals must be filed with the Board of Equalization by the filing deadline of July 1, of the assessment year, or within 60 days of the mailing date on the Assessor's Notice of Change of Value.


Do you want to file a petition to the BOE?

There are several times throughout the year when you can file a petition. See what filing period(s) are open right now and download the appropriate petition form. If you are unsure if you qualify to file a petition during an open filing period, please contact the Board Clerk.

A filing period to appeal the 2020 value (for 2021 taxes) is now open for  taxpayers who have received a change of value notice from the County Assessor. Petitions need to be postmarked within 60 days of the mailing date.  A copy of everything submitted to the BOE should be sent to the Assessor.

The Real Property Valuation Determination form is available to print or download, or you can pick up from the Assessor or the Board of Equalization (BOE office is located in the Commissioner’s building). Please contact the Board Clerk by emailing or calling (509) 684-7513 if you need to have a form sent to you by mail.

Every year ANY taxpayer can file a petition prior to July 1st for the current valuation year, taxes payable following year.

* If you have missed the deadline for the filing period under which you had hoped to file, you may qualify to file a late filing exemption request under WAC 458-14-056. There may even be other provisions which would still allow you to file, so please contact the Board Clerk to see if you qualify.*