Conservation districts rely on cooperative assistance and funding from federal, state, and local governments, as well as district associations, private organizations, and businesses.


Federal Agencies

Farm Service Agency –

The FSA administers cost-sharing programs to farmers implementing conservation. They also provide aerial photos for conservation work, assistance for land treatment and development, and natural disaster relief. The local FSA office is located in the Nation Forest Service Building at 765 S Main St, Colville, WA 99114.
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) – The USFWS is responsible for wild birds, mammals (except certain marine mammals), and inland sport fisheries. The USFWS conducts research activities, environmental impact assessments, and manages wildlife refuges. In some cases, USFWS provides funding for habitat restoration projects. The local USFWS office is located at 1310 Bear Creek Rd, Colville, WA 99114.

U.S. Forest Service (USFS) –

The USFS has federal responsibility for forestry. The USFS sponsors cooperative programs through state forestry agencies, the Natural Resources Conservation Service and conservation districts to control fires, stabilize gullies, improve forest growth, plant trees, and control forest pests. The local USFS office is located at 765 S Main St, Colville, WA 99114.

National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) –

The NMFS is responsible for providing programs to try to save the marine endangered species of the United States. Their actions affect the Columbia River and Snake River watersheds of the Northwest.

Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) –

The NRCS has a long tradition of working with conservation districts. It provides technical assistance with soils, conservation practices, and planning to districts, land users and others. The local NRCS office is located at 765 S Main St, Colville, WA 99114. Visit the Washington State NRCS webpage.


State Agencies

Washington Conservation Commission –

The Washington State Conservation Commission has ten members. The Commission and its staff provide administrative and program assistance and guidance to districts, disseminate information, and seek sources of funding to aid in district operation.

Department of Agriculture (WSDA) –

The Washington State Department of Agriculture administers state laws protecting agricultural producers from diseases, insects, predators, and weeds. The WSDA regulates fruit, seed, and other agricultural product grading. The WSDA also issues and approves licenses for nursery dealers, pesticide operators, and applicators; and issues labeling permits for products used by agricultural producers such as seed, fertilizer, pesticide, etc. The WSDA is also involved in water resources, transportation, farm labor, and other matters related to the production, distribution and sale of agricultural commodities.


Department of Ecology (Ecology) –

The Department of Ecology protects and enhances Washington’s environment. Ecology programs address air pollution, water pollution, solid waste, hazardous waste, noise pollution, litter and resource recovery, water resources, and shoreline and coastal zone management. Ecology is both an administrative and a regulatory agency with authority to enforce the state’s environmental laws. The department monitors all major waterways, administers several grant programs, and issues permits for all waste dischargers.


Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) –

In 1994, the departments of Fisheries and Wildlife were combined to more effectively protect and enhance the fish and wildlife of our state. The WDFW enforces the state anadromous fish and shellfish harvest and management laws. It also participates in long-range planning involving streams, maintains a fish habitat enhancement program, issues hydraulic project applications permits, provides technical assistance in design of in-stream structures affecting anadromous fish, assures conservation and preservation of salmon resources in the state through intensive fish culture facilities, and cooperates in fish rearing projects with sport groups, tribal organizations, educational facilities, and civic groups. It enforces state fish and game laws, classifies, monitors, and enhances wildlife species, numbers, and habitat; improves hunting and fishing access; and advises individual and groups on ways to minimize man-made impacts to wildlife.


Department of Natural Resource (DNR) –

The DNR manages and protects state-owned lands. DNR foresters also assist private landowners with the Agriculture Conservation Program (ACP) and the Forestry Incentive Program (FIP) and provide other limited free technical forestry assistance. The DNR administers the Forest Practices Act, a Washington state law regulating practices such as timber harvest.


Washington State University Extension (WSU) –

Assistance from WSU is commonly found through the WSU Extension. Extension agents (“county agents”) and specialists are available to counsel, educate and train conservation districts in economics, engineering, agronomy and soils, animal sciences, entomology, food science and technology, forestry and range management, home economics, horticulture, plant pathology, sociology, veterinary science, and many other areas. Most counties have an Extension office which serves as the local contact for conservation districts to request Extension assistance. WSU Extension is also responsible for 4-H, which can be an excellent vehicle for youth conservation education programs.


County and Local Government