It is my understanding that the County has a vegetation management program. Can you tell me more about it?

Stevens County accomplishes integrated vegetation management throughout the County. In addition to roadside spraying weeds the County mows grass and cuts roadside brush. Roadside spraying occurs along most County roads within the County’s right-of-way. 

What do I need to do if I do not want the right-of-way in front of my property sprayed?
Contact the Stevens County Weed Board @ 684-7590 or stop by their office at 230 Williams Lake Road: Colville, WA. They will provide forms for you to sign that require you to take on the responsibility of maintaining weeds within the right-of-way. The Weed Board will issue you “Owner Will Maintain” signs, which are acceptable signs to avoid County application of herbicides.

I live on a gravel road and would like the County to pave my road. Will the County pave my road?
In general, Stevens County does not have resources available and can not satisfy these requests. The cost to improve and pave a gravel road to correct standards can range between $150,000 to $500,000 per mile. Funds for these types of projects are derived locally, meaning no grant funds are available. Grant funds are used on those high-volume County roads.

I live on a gravel road and I believe that it needs more gravel. Why don’t you put more gravel on my gravel road?
Stevens County does accomplish re-graveling on an as-needed basis as funds become available. The County does try to maintain a road by grading and adding gravel periodically. Re-graveling is generally beyond our means for most roads. When funds are available gravel roads with the highest traffic volumes are generally maintained with a higher level of effort than ones with lower traffic volumes.

I live on a gravel road and I am curious as to what the general grading schedule is?
Generally most gravel roads are graded twice per year, usually in the spring and fall. However grading is moisture dependent, and there is no set schedule. Grading cannot be accomplished without appreciable moisture. Subsequently, grading does not occur during the normally dry summer months.

I live along a County road and was wondering if the County would apply dust abatement to it?
The County does not apply dust abatement to gravel roads. However, we do have a no-fee permit system that allows landowners to hire a licensed firm to apply an approved dust palliative on their roads. There are some guidelines that need to be followed, which are explained during the dust abatement permit process. Please contact the Public Works Administration office at 684-4548 for more details.

I live on a County road and I am curious as to what the snowplowing schedule is?
Stevens County has a winter maintenance policy describing winter maintenance procedures and parameters for our snow plowing. Briefly, certain roads, such as high traffic roads and school bus routes, are considered higher priority than others. These roads are plowed and sanded before other low usage roads. Generally it takes 2-3 days to complete plowing and sanding the roads after a significant snowstorm.

I live along a County road and every time the snowplow comes by a snow berm is left across my approach. Why doesn’t the driver take the time to stop and clean out the approach?
Stevens County maintains approximately 1350 miles of County road during winter operations. In order for our plow trucks to cover this area and remove snow from the road surfaces they must be able to maintain a sufficient operating speed (about 35-mph). This allows the plows to reach their routes and to effectively throw snow over the shoulder of the road, keeping the road width reasonable and allowing further snow storage. Along the 1350 miles of roadway are literally thousands of driveways. There simply would not be enough time to come back and clear each driveway and winter maintenance costs would roughly double.

I live along a County road and the snowplow truck just knocked over my mailbox. Whose responsibility is it to fix it?
Downed mailboxes are common when the snow is wet and heavy. While equipment is maintaining the necessary speed it takes to get the snow off of the road, the snow is discharged at a relatively high speed. If, after a careful investigation, it has been determined that our equipment physically hit the mailbox, the County will replace it. However if snow thrown by the plow causes the mailbox to be knocked over, Stevens County will not repair or replace the mailbox. It will be the property owner’s responsibility to re-establish their mailbox in this unfortunate circumstance.

I live along a County road where people constantly travel along the road at a high rate of speed. Can you put up more signs along the road to get the drivers’ attention?
Attempting to control speed through excessive sign placement is ineffective.  We recommend that private citizens contact the Stevens County Sheriff at 684-2555 and report speed violators or those causing hazardous conditions.

I live along a County road and I would like to feel safer about my children playing outside. Can the County put up “Children at Play” signs so drivers will slow down when they drive through the area?
County roads are designed and built for motorized traffic.  Constructing these signs is not permitted in Stevens County.

I am in the process of moving to a County road and building a home. How do I get an address for my new location?
The first thing to do is contact the Information Services Department, 684-7505, 215 South Oak St: Colville, WA. and fill out an application for an address. If this is new construction you are also required to fill out an approach permit from the Public Works Department, 684-4548, located at 185 East Hawthorne: Colville, WA.

I live along a County road and desire to cut trees that are located within the County right-of-way easement. What do I need to do?
Falling trees along a County road can be an extreme hazard to the traveling public and places yourself and motorists at risk. We request that you contact the Public Works Administration office @ 684-4548 to report hazard trees.

I live along a County road and desire to plant flowers or trees within the County right of way. Can I do this?
We strongly discourage landowners planting trees within the right of way. It is a liability to the owner and County. Further, our regular maintenance work will likely destroy the trees that are planted in the right-of-way.

I live along a County road and some maintenance crews just cut the saplings I recently planted in the County right of way. Can they do this?
Stevens County has the right and responsibility to maintain a safe County right-of-way. This includes trimming shrubs and trees that limit sight distance and constitute an obstruction in the roadway clear zone. The County will not replace trees that are damaged in the County right-of-way due to normal maintenance procedures.

I live along a County road and would like to put a fence up along the County road. Where should I place it?
In order to insure that fence damage does not occur and so as not to interfere with the County’s maintenance procedures landowners should construct fences outside of the County’s right-of-way, which is generally 30 feet from the road center line.

I live along a County road and would like to know what the right of way is along the section of the road I live by. How do I find out?
You will need to contact the Public Works Administration office at 684-4548 and give the exact location of your property (legal description). We will then research that particular area and attempt to provide the information you are requesting.

I live along a County road and there is a dead deer in the road in front of my property. Will the County pick it up?
Stevens County does not have resources available to pick up and dispose of dead animals from the road. However, if it is lying within the traveled portion of road, someone will be sent out to remove it to the ditch as a safety precaution. Please call the Public Works Administration office at 684-4548 immediately if a dead animal is a safety hazard to the traveling public.